Ethiopia Ready for New Digital World Adopted Globally, Says Minister
Addis Ababa June 29/2017 Ethiopia is ready for a new and future digital world, according to Ministry of Communications and Information Technology.
In his opening speech to the First International ICT Expo that opened here yesterday, Communications and Information Technology Minister Dr.Debretsion Gebremichael said Ethiopia is ready for a new digital world that has been adopted worldwide.
According to him, Ethiopia has recognized the importance of information technology as part and parcel of the nation's journey towards industrialization.
“We are (therefore) holding this international ICT Expo for the first time under the theme ‘Digital Ethiopia’ at a time when the realms of globalization have brought benefits and opportunities for peoples across the world”, he added.
As part of the implementation of the MDGs, Ethiopia has made commendable progress in the countrywide construction of the Terrestrial National Optic Fiber Cable (OFC), Dr.Debretsion revealed.
Several ICT industry development platforms have been put in place to harmonize the initiatives of private sector development and the direction taken by the government for establishing different technology parks.
The Minister said “we believe in enhancing access to ICT by building a robust ICT industry ecosystem to achieve the ambitious plan of our journey to become a middle income country by 2025.
The expo, which is open to public up to July 2, 2017, displays sub-themes on digital financing, digital agriculture, digital health and digital education.
Several events such as exhibition showcases, panel discussions, and scientific research conferences would be held on the sidelines, it was learned.
Over 300 delegates from 45 countries are attending the expo expected to be visited by more than 300,000 visitors.
- Ethiopia Ready for New Digital World Adopted Globally, Says Minister
- IST- Africa Profile
- MCIT hosted IST-Africa H2020 Workshop focused on ICT-39 in Addis Ababa, 17 November
- IST-Africa Horizon 2020, Workshop Was held at Addis Ababa Ghion Hotel
- Innovation Africa Digital Summit 2013
- MCIT has organized the 6th ICT Exhibition and Bazaar
- Ministry launched its first e-government SMS services
- EthioICT-Village administration and data center buildings are under construction
- MCIT has launched the first Ethiopian E-service Portal